Interns will be joining dedicated scientists who are conducting accredited research projects important for Mozambique and for science in general. These projects demand a level of dedication to the scientific and practical responsibilities from the participants. The demands are well within the capabilities of students, and while challenging, are equally enjoyable and exciting.
Interns taking part in MAR’s marine biology internship can expect to get practical and theoretical training during the first and second weeks. Interns begin data collection after learning sampling and identification techniques.
Research assistance and supervision are provided for the duration of interns’ stay, however interns are ultimately expected to work independently in order to achieve their personal goals and the objectives of their university study.
The internship program is an opportunity to contribute meaningfully to exciting marine research and conservation projects, as well as experience the achievements associated with ambitious and challenging marine research in Africa.
Tasks and duties
- Underwater photo identification of manta rays using underwater parallel lasers for measurements
- Nudibranch (sea slugs) search per time
- Nudibranch quadrat
- Nudibranch collection and preservation
- Nudibranch dissection (when appropriate)
- Flatworm collection and preservation
- Maintenance of the nudibranch tank
- Camera maintenance
- Field research organization
- Video transect at Rio Saiñas Wreck
- Photo quadrat at Rio Saiñas Wreck
- Sea Horse Monitoring Program (data collection and entry monthly)
- Sea Horse Habitat Monitoring (data collection and entry monthly)
- Humpback whale land-based survey and photo ID (June to October)
- Conducting user group surveys on marine ecotourism
- Turtle patrolling and monitoring (November to March)
- Data entry – using Excel, NudiID and MID (software especially designed for manta ray identification)
- Educational activities including:
- Activities with kids from the local community
- Public talks
- Underwater clean-up
- Workshops (e.g. recycling)